Do you ever struggle with setting up your out of office in Office 365 Outlook? Need inspiration on what to write? Look no further…whether you are jet setting off to a luxurious destination or staying local for a training day, here is how to set up and make the most of your out of office message.
- Click on file in the top left hand corner of your Outlook inbox –
- Click on Automatic Replies (Out of Office) –
- A box will appear with options to select at the top and an area for text which you are currently unable to edit below –
- Click on only send during this time range and you will be able to add your chosen dates & times of when you will be out of the office –
- Now it is time for your message. You have two sections to write in, one is for inside your organisation and the other is for outside your organisation. You can change the font, size and colour of your text…it is your out of office! Although this allows freedom of expression, please be aware of your organisations protocols and you maybe as well to set a corporate standard. Think of it like a corporate advertising board.
Important information to provide in your out of office message:
- The reason why you are out of the office – if you are on holiday, at a training day or in an all-day meeting.
- An alternative contact name, email address and telephone number in your absence. This could be a colleague or a department.
- The date that you are returning back to work.
- Provide your email signature at the end of your out of office message.
- Advertising space – It can be your website address, a link to your blog, details about a charity event you are raising money for, an event you are organising, a networking group that you attend, provide ten top tips on something related to your organisation or details about your organisation. People will read and see your out of office, so make the most of it!
- Click on the OK button once you have written your out of office message and the box you originally clicked on will change colour-
If for any reason you need to turn off your out of office message, please click on the turn off button. Once you have turned off your automatic replies, you will need to re-set your out of office again.
Then when you go back into your inbox, this will appear across the top of your emails –
Did you find this information useful? Download or print out our PDF for yourself and staff members – it may come in handy! – How To Set Up Your Out Of Office in Outlook PDF
Pick up the phone and call our helpful team on 01843 572600 if you would like any advice on your setting up your out of office. We are always happy to help!