Keyboard shortcuts are combinations of two or more keys that you can use to perform a task that would usually require a mouse. Useful keyboard shortcuts can make it easier to work with your PC, saving you time and effort as you work with Windows and other applications.
Here are our top nine keyboard shortcuts:
- Ctrl + C (or Ctrl + Insert) = Copy the selected item
- Ctrl + X = Cut the selected item
- Ctrl + V (or Shift + Insert) = Paste the selected item
- Ctrl + Z = Undo an action
- Ctrl + Y = Redo an action
- Ctrl + D (or Delete) = Delete the selected item and move it to the Recycle Bin
- Ctrl + Shift with an arrow key = Select a block of text
- Alt + Tab = Switch between open applications
- Alt + F4 = Close the active item or exit the active application
Keyboard shortcuts can be useful to all computer users as they allow for interactions that are faster than allowed by mouse clicks. Using keyboard shortcuts can produce efficiency, multitasking and precision…as well as saving time and who doesn’t want that?
In our Learning Zone, we host a workshop called ‘Work Smarter with your Computer’ which covers keyboard shortcuts. If you would like more information on how you can attend this session, please click on this link.
You can also see Microsoft shortcuts for Windows users by clicking on this link.
You can also keep these keyboard shortcuts by saving or printing out our PDF – it may come in handy! Top 9 Keyboard Shortcuts PDF