For many people, social media terms are part of their everyday lives and think no more about it. Although for many people out there, it can be confusing, especially with some of the terminology they use around social media.
For those head-scratching moments, here are our top 9 jargon-busters regarding social media marketing terms:
- Algorithm – An algorithm is a set of formulas developed for a computer, to perform a certain function. Algorithms on social media are used to control and filter the content we see on our feeds, based on our behaviour.
- Bio – A bio on social media refers to a short bit of text that explains who the user or/and organisation is.
- Click Through Rate – Click through rate is a common social media term used to represent the number of times a visitor has clicked through, divided by the total number of impressions a piece of content receives.
- Engagement Rate – Engagement rate is a popular social media term used to describe the amount of interaction with likes, shares and comments for a piece of content created.
- Follower – In the world of social media, a follower refers to a person who subscribes to your account in order to receive your updates.
- Retargeting – Retargeting is an online marketing and advertising technique that allows marketers to display ads to people who have visited their website or are part of their contacts database.
- Search Engine Optimisation – Search engine optimisation is the process of improving the volume or quality of unpaid traffic to a website from search engines.
- Webinar – A webinar is an online seminar or presentation that is hosted by an individual or a company. Most often, the host requires attendees to fill out a form before granting them access to stream the audio and slides
- Viral – Viral is a term used to describe an instance in which a piece of content, for example -YouTube video, blog article, photo, etc., that achieves noteworthy awareness. Viral distribution can rely heavily on word of mouth and the frequent sharing of one particular piece of content all over the internet.
Found this blog post useful? Download or print out our PDF, it may come in handy! – Top 9 Social Media Jargon Busters PDF
You can also read more about our social media hints and tips on our blog section here.