The information held on your computers could be irreplaceable. Regular backups are vital for any business, ensuring that you have more than one copy of your data. The main reasons for backing up include the possibility of:
- Hardware failure
- Operating system failure such as a system crash
- Files being modified or deleted accidentally
- Fire, flood or accidental damage
- Virus and spyware infections
- File deletion during operating system upgrades
Modern computer hard drives can hold large volumes of data, making the consequences of loss through any of the above potentially disastrous. The impact could be inconvenient, stressful, time consuming and expensive.
Our Ninjas have devised some more tips to help you and you staff stay protected:
- Plan for total loss of your data. For example, the theft of a laptop which contains all of your documents and files
- If backing up data on an external drive, ensure that it is stored on different premises to prevent your backup data being stolen or damaged along with your computer
- Password protect backups to ensure security
- Ensure your backed up data will always be retrievable when you need it
Two principal methods of backing up your data are:
Portable Hard Drives
An external hard drive is a fast, efficient way of backing up all of your data. Models are available that either plug into your computer’s USB port, or connect via your wireless network. Most are so compact that they can easily be stored off-site. It is important to test that the data you have backed up on your portable hard drive can be recovered if needed.
The use of Cloud backup (online backup) is increasingly popular due to its convenience, security and low cost. The Cloud is being used for not only backups but primary storage. This enables you to access your data from any computer, smartphone or tablet anywhere without having to carry the data with you. Using the Cloud for primary storage also ensures data security as providers back up your data, as well as storing it.
Your IT support company should have all this taken care of. If you have any questions or concerns, call them and make sure everything is in place. That’s what they are there for!